Or call our technical support: +31852080825

Available Monday through Friday from 7AM to 3:30PM CET
Please create a ticket before calling and keep the ticket number at hand.
At the moment we are only offering support in English, so we kindly ask you to address your issue in English.
Start a new topic

Testing device printing

Hello

I plan to buy a 3D printer soon. I need a high precision of the printhead but I have a request. 

Could somone print and send me a testing device with a CreaTR printer? I am to going to use high precision measurement tools to check this printer's precision and repeatability. I have already designed the 3D testing model. 

Also if you have any feedback about the real precision of these printers I'd like to hear about it. 

Thank you for your attention. 

JCP 

Hi JCP

My name is Cornel and i work for Leapfrog 3D printers Technical Support. I will gladly print the object for you and then mail it.

Please send me the STL file.

Which machine are you interested in buying? I will print the object on that specific model and you can check the accuracy.

Hello,

We received the Creatr HS 2 weeks ago and since then we are having more and more problems with the printing qualtity. Apart from that the printer started to make loud noises while moving the Y-axis.
Could it be possible that we send you a reference model that you print for us so we can compare our print to your print?
Could you as well send us the profiles you used for printing the reference model?

Kind regards
Christopher

Yes, of course.

You can use the profiles from the solution here and reduce the retraction speed to 3600 mm/min.

Hello,

thank you for your fast reply but we already print with those profiles.

Where are you having issues with your prints? Oozing, Stringing, or Dragging? Perhaps I can give you some insight on some tuning you can do to your settings.

-Brandon

Did you reduce the retraction speed as i have mentioned in the previous post? this can be a very decisive change.

Hello,

first in used the profiles provided by the Leapfrog support to make sure I didn´t do anything wrong on the speeds or settings in general. The general problems still continue.
When the printer is moving in the y-axis it makes loud, scraping noises in the right bearings. The noises cause strong vibrations in the printing head which leads to poor printing quality.
I sent some pictures of parts to the support where you can actually see the vibrations resulting in uneven rough surfaces and print failures. I have as well problems with oozing, dragging and stringing but for now the problem in the bearings in my main issue since it affects my prints strongly.

Hello Everyone,

I have just had my new Creatr HS for 3 weeks Wednesday.

Basically I really like the machine and think compared with many on the market it does represent reasonably good value for money.

...... however the inability to print the most basic part, consistently is getting to be quite a big disappointment. I would very much like to work with the Leapfrog Team to test every variable in a methodical manner to rule out possible sources of inconsistency in the machines operation. 

I have already 'Devoted' between 4-6hrs most evenings over many weeks / weekends are up to 6-8hrs working on every little test to understand and isolate where the problems are.

So tonight I started as follows:

1. Cleaned the glass bed and put on a new piece of Blue Painters tape (I am waiting for a new sticker)

2. Calibrated the bed (many times tonight)

3. Rechecked extruders to ensure they are the same height.

4. Only one (left) extruder used for all the test (right extruder is blocked, extra heat and a pin does not work).

5. Deleted all the Factory Files and re-imported them from the following link

How to manually configure Simplify 3D for optimum quality output with the Creatr HS

6. Checked the Feed Pressure adjustment was not screwed in too much or too little, pressure is good.

Please note all the prints tonight were made using the default setting, except the 50x50x5mm block. I reduced the retraction speed to 3600mm/min per Cornel's suggestion earlier which did not help unfortunately.

In addition I used the following two FFF Profiles, the end result = Ruined print.

I have also gone to the effort to make a short video, apologies for the quality.

It is I hope available for you via this link http://youtu.be/fju2TWtKVYM

This is a test to print the 50x50x5mm block.

What I would like to try to be able to successfully replicate creating a part that can be used as the baseline shall we say for calibration.

Please:

1. Send me an STL file or a link to use as the baseline test model.

2. Send me the FFF Profile or advise which one of the defaults to use.

3. Advise all other pertinent settings to ensure (as far as practical) that we are doing the same print.

Looking forward to resolving this before this goes on for much longer.

Interested to hear if anyone else has had the same experience as me?

Regards,

David.

jpg
jpg
Hello David,

your explanation sounds a lot like my past weeks with our Creatr HS. I continuesly printed the same part (a small block) over and over again with different settings, standard profiles, Leapfrog "high quality" profiles etc.. And the results are far from consistent and the prints are even further from being good.
We bought this printer for our company to get an introduction in 3D printing and maybe integrate it in our daily productions processes. But so far it seems more than impossible with this printer. We didn´t buy this printer for fun and in my daily work I have no time and patience to need 50+ hours to calibrate or find the perfect settings.

At the same time I am in contact with the support because of the mentioned strong mechanical noises, which sounds in my engineering ears like a ball bearing failure. But as well either no, or very delayed reactions from Leapfrog.

I have to say that I am very diasspointed with this printer and Leapfrog and have no more time in my schedule to spend another 50 hours in calibrating. So it looks like we will not be able to use our printer for anything productive.

Regards
Christopher

Hi Christopher,

Sorry to hear that you seem to be suffering similar results to me.

I am a self employed consultant and have been in engineering for more than 25 years having spent more than 12 years on the production (CNC) machining side of operations I (humbly) consider myself somewhat versed with this sort of technology like yourself. In conjunction that I have been now in design (including Automotive plastics) since 2000 I think this is familiar territory.

As you said I also did not purchase such an pricey 3D Printer for fun either I intended to offer and higher level of service to my customers however not being able to realise this and successfully commission the printer is more than frustrating.

I have posted a number of request to the Creatr 'Community' in the hopes that others out there may provide some further insight and I will gladly share any info, good or bad.

I wonder how long have you had your printer, how many hours have you also committed to getting it running, it sounds a lot like myself?

I am looking forward to getting a single test piece from Leapfrog as a BASELINE part that was (or can be) used to reliably calibrate the printer with the FFF Profiles already available. To me this should be achievable otherwise we 'purchasers' are not able to confidently 'commission' (put into reliable, continuous use) the printer for the reasonably expected purpose.

Given that I am (ashamedly) robbing my family of time with my wife and children really is pushing the boundary of my positive attitude and patience so I have high (and reasonable) expectations that Leapfrog deliver a solution for us that enable these printers to be put to proper use soon (I don't mean 3-4months time).

Regards,

David

Hi David,

what you describe about a baseline sample from Leapfrog is the thing I would like to have as well at the moment. Since it is our first experience with 3D printing I have no comparasion to see if the problems lie within my settings or the printer. Unfortunately Leapfrog is not helping much with this subject. The only anwsers that I i get is to "keep printing" and try different settings to get better results.
That anwser for me as a customer is more than frustrating, obviously Leapfrog has no motiviation to help me since I already bought their printer. If I offer such a service to our customers we wouldn´t last tong as a company i guess. I am really frustrated about the customer service from Leapfrog at the moment.

However, I will give you a quick overview on my experience:
-We have our printer for about 6 weeks now and I spend about 50 hours on it. As well we bought a further "installation service" from our German reseller. When he came to install it, one week after delivery, we were already starting with printing. Our reseller as well said that the strong mechanical noises, and the printing quality are not normal. Since then I am in contact with Leapfrog directly (no anwser for a longer period of time anymore) and with our reseller who is trying to solve the problems with Leapfrog as well. But Leapfrog is giving alwas the same anwser to keep printing, even when the mechanical noises, and the poor printing quality gots significantly worse the past few weeks.
Apart from the first few prints which were just prints for fun to see what it can do i was printing small blocks in different sizes, with overhangs, without overhand, with holes and without holes. With every test i started with the Standard profile form Leapfrog and then treid to tune it.
Actually i have a lot of issues and experience that I couldn´t write it all in one morning. But the biggest issues are the inconsistent results, even when i use the same FFF, strongly depending on the position of the print on the bed. The loud noises causing vibrations result in rough surfaces in my print. Extremely slow printing speed. It is called a "HS" but really to get acceptable prints i cannot print faster than 30 mm/s, otherwise the layers don´t stick to each other or the details get lost in the print. This makes it extremely difficult to print big parts but have small details in some parts. As well i cannot print to parts after each other without turning the printer off and on between the prints, otherwise the printer looses its connection and stops in the beginning of the print.
I started printing with two colors for a few test prints, but so far the results are a disaster.
For the moment i am waiting for a response from Leapfrog because i cannot waste more time on it and have to return to my daily work.

If you want to exchange more of my experience with the printer or with LEapfrog maybe as well we can talk on the phone or by Skype. As well i could be interested to hear from other users about their experience, since there seems to be not much on the Internet these days.

Greetings
Christopher

Hi Christopher,

Rather than continually typing endless emails it would be good to have a discussion via Skype or phone.  Perhaps we can organise some time to call and chat further; how does this sound to you?

Kind regards,

David

I was thinking the same while I was writing the text. Sounds very fine :)

David,
I don't own an HS but maybe I can offer some pointers.
After looking at your video it seems the biggest problem is getting good adhesion on the first layer. Everybody struggles with this at first.

1) If you are using blue tape it's best to turn off the bed heater.
2) I also usually wipe the surface of the tape with alcohol (91% or higher).
3) I would slow down the printing of the first layer quite a bit more. (At least until you are comfortable with what speed works.)
4) It's very important that the first layer actually squeezes into the surface of the blue tape. You may need to increase the first layer extrusion amount of raise the bed a little bit more. You should not see gaps between the printed lines on the first layer (once it starts to stick).

When you get this right, parts will likely rip the blue tape when you remove them.

Login or Signup to post a comment

User Manuals

Quick Start Guide

Print Settings

Demo Print Downloads

Drivers Downloads

Software Downloads

Firmware Downloads

Please request a firmware download via the Ticket System

Creatr HS Video Library