Or call our technical support: +31852080825

Available Monday through Friday from 7AM to 3:30PM CET
Please create a ticket before calling and keep the ticket number at hand.
At the moment we are only offering support in English, so we kindly ask you to address your issue in English.
Start a new topic

A lot of trouble with a new printer

Hello,

i have bought a creatr HS a couple of days ago. i decided to go for a pre build system instead of a mendel or prusa because i don't want to build, setup and finetune a 3d printer.

i assumed buying this printer would ensure a good quality and a out of the box printing experience.

I am using the pre defined profiles as supplied by leapfrog but i have problems printing.

It's mainly large objects (one of the reasons for choosing this printer) and ABS

boy am i wrong.....

reading this forum i am reading a lot of similar problems and (unfortunately) not a lot of answers from leapfrog.

The problems i have with the printer;

- molten fan duct ; seems to be a known problem, why doesn't leapfrog supply a spare duct or at least a stl

-bad calibration screws : after caloibrating the bed by adjusting the bolts the bed can still be levelled by turning the knobs on the bottom. so after applying a little pressure on the bed (cleaning it) the knobs turn a litte and you have to re-calibrate

-slow heating bed ; it takes forever to heat up to 80C

-scraping nozzle: even after re-aligning the nozzles the nozzle not in use keeps scraping the printed filament.

-middle of bed higher then corners (axis bent downwards); also a know problem (bent axis)

-the last problem i have is that the ABS seems to be cutting out after a few minutes of printing.

I have a lot of filament scrapings on the driver wheel and i don't know if this is the 'cause' or the 'result' of something else but it seems to be clogging up to such a degree that it will not feed anymore filament. (happens only with ABS not PLA).

I have tried different settings on the pressure wheel but it give no result.

I am printing with the default settings for ABS (medium quality).

Picture attached of the driver wheel.

By the way; i have removed the motor cleaned this wheel 3 times today

i am doubting if i should send the printer back and wait for the technology to mature.

maybe leapfrog will supply some service to make a customer happy.

all other suggestings are welcome ofcourse

Kim

jpg

I know the most of your problems, my HS isnt quiete better. Im still experimentating with PLA, ABS fff. settings, Bed leveling, Extruder aligment, different measurments between the stl-file and the printed object... Sometimes, it is very frustrating.

The support of Leapfrog is (from my oint of view) absurd. (i.e from the first switch on, my brandnew HS is very noisy, so i looked for the reason. I identify, that the fan mounted above the both extruder has lost some fanblades! I asked Leapfrog to send me a replacement fan, but the support told me that the fan is not defect, because it is still working! - Ok, then i will wait until the rest of the fanblades fall off (or the bearring of the Fan axis breaks, because there is a big imbalance and crash or overheat the parts in the Extruder Housing. Perhaps that is a reason to get some spare parts, i don't know...) I identify, the Creatr isnt an "out of the box" Printer. My hope was, that the Creatr HS is better than the "standard" Creatr, but it seems like I failed with my thoughts...  

I totally agree with all above said, it is not a "plug and Play" printer, not even close. 

I can't seem to find where I read or heard that it is a "plug and Play" printer, but from what I can gather, more people are under the same impression. 

Anyway, to add to the list of faulty items. 

Squeaking plastic bushings !!!!, instead of using sealed bearings bushings are used for the X/Y axis, mine lasted 1,5 weeks before the started adding squeaking noise to the already noisy printer. 

Bed leveling..... WTF. it is even worse that the old wooden Printrbot we assembled our self a couple of years ago, the Printrbot one "only" needs truing ones every other week, bur the HS, needs constant leveling, for each print. easy solved though, with some mild loctite on the threads. But One have ask one self, should this be necessary? 

Bent axis, I thought for a moment that the glas was curved due to the heat from the bed, but this cements my worries...... again WTF??

Stepper motor calibration any one?, mine are constantly skipping, both X/Y, but more importantly the extruder motor. 

Doesn't matter how I i try to tune the flow settings, it still skipping, which basically makes the printer useless. 

Our old printrbot are creating prints that seem like the came out of a professional printer compared to the ones that I get out of my HS. 

I've been printing actively for three years now, so I think I know how to "set up" a printer. 

Heated bed. Do anyone know how high temperature that is possible on the HS? Bought some ABS from the guys at E3D and they recommend 110 degrees bed temp, my HS only reach 95 (after 1,5 h with insulator on top). Perhaps not strange if it runs on 24V, the sheers size of it needs a quite sturdy power supply.  

I guess I airing some frustration here, I am fully aware of the complications in producing such a rather complex item as a 3D printer, things can go wrong, especially when one not oversea the production. My printer read "made in EU", which leads me to believe that it is not made by leapfrog them self. 

But the truth of the matter is that the printer is marketed as a affordable large volume printer, which has been labeled "Best printer under 5000 $" which is probably true, If, the hardware matches the stated, but from what it seems, this is not the case. 

Things don't always go as plan, we can only speculate what happens behind the curtains at Leapfrog headquarters, but its irrelevant. 

What is relevant is how Leapfrog is going to handle the customers that are not so happy?

The Printer basically do not meet the specifications as advertised, I think we agree on that.  

Some answers from leapfrog would be nice............

Assuring maximum quality and maximum performance, the Creatr HS ‘prints best with MAXX’.

Hi Kim,

Oh so sorry to hear you have gone through, it seems, more headaches than I did.

I still have an open / unanswered ticket where the printer disconnects from the PC without any obvious cause.

So to respond to some of your points:

MOLTEN FAN DUCT: I seem to have been lucky on this one yet though now I know when I start printing ABS (when the delayed unreported order arrives) I am prepared. Sound like I need to print one of the improved fan ducts from one of the other Leapfrog Users here who had the same problem.

BAD CALIBRATION SCREWS:  I found for me personally it took a few weeks for me to find a method whereby I could gain an acceptable result, see next issue for answer.

MIDDLE OF THE BED HIGHER: I have also found that this is possibly the case with my printer, unfortunately I do not have a dial indicator to check this. My temporary solution to this and the above issue as to use a 0.2mm feeler gauge and check/reset the height in each corner of the table, recheck a 2nd or 3rd time (should be unnecessary I agree) but I do it to be as sure as i can.  Another trick I do to check if the bed is seated as high/best as possible is once i have checked the height in one corner is to push the bed down against the spring and let it up again. Then recheck the height, I guarantee in my case it will have changed. Indicating to me that there is a degree of uncertainty in the the calibrating / setting ( and continually resetting) of the extruder / bed height. However I found for me this to be somewhat reliable. 

Once I have checked the height of the bed in all four corners of the table repeatedly I then check the center of the bed. I can guarantee that I struggle to get a 0.15mm feeler gauge under the nozzle. Meaning to me that my HS bed is not as flat as I had expected, especially when you have Leapfrog Technical Support saying to use a piece of paper to set your extruder / bed height gap (paper is typically 0.1mm which in this scenario led to my printer unceremoniously shredding the printer sticker on the bed).

Footnote: my old issue just killed my current print 74mins into a 248 min cycle - not real happy about that. I will be making an update to this open case again, ref attached screenshot which I will be attaching to the open and still unresolved ticket.

CLOGGED FEED ROLLER

A few silly questions for my better understanding....

Is the filament the Leapfrog MAXX type or another? (I am sure it would be asked)

I presume the pressure roller always turns freely? (have you tried both sides?)

I asked because if we can see where the problems are arising then I (and other fellow (or potential) Leapfrog Users) can see where we can prevent the problem and come up with a solution.

I hope you get some prompt answers and good support.

FIRMWARE UNRESPONSIVE ERROR & MY REPLACEMENT MOTHERBOARD FAULTY

In case you get this problem also, Leapfrog (after some general testing / discussion) identified my motherboard as the problem with my printer was due to the motherboard, sent another, which in the end was worse, it tried to drive both my Y Axis servos in different directions, if I was not there it i could have wrecked my printer.

EFFORT / ENERGY REQUIRED TO GET MY HS PARTIALLY RELIABLE.

I still have a major / unanswered ticket as mentioned in mentioned above in my footnote.

I have spent the last month investing on average 4-5/night (after family time) 27-28day from receipt of printer until now to get a small amount of prints to be created but with a lot of waste. At nearly 40 EUR a spool that is starting to get expensive.  

EXPECTATIONS & EXPERIENCE:

One thing is clear and that is this type of technology is not for the average consumer expecting a plug-n-play experience, they would be sadly disappointed. I think like ( i hope) most here it requires people that are technically minded, that are comfortable setting machines, troubleshooting comfortable with the gcode (not a problem when you have a good slicer) All said and done I have come a long way in a month after considerable effort to get results (ie about 90-100 hours extra time in the last month)

I am sure I have missed something / could write more and at 2:25am in the morning I need to go and log this current failure.

Please let us know as I am also most interested to compare how responsive the customer support people are to your case as a new user and what actions they take / suggest.

Kind regards,

David

jpg

Hi David,

I had even more problems and the support with Leapfrog is slow and I don’t feel they will solve my issues.

So I decided to send my printer back and get a review. I’ll wait a little longer and hope the technology will mature more in the next months.

Yeah, printing is spare fanduct is smart. I printed one too (found on thingverse). Strange that Leapfrog didn’t supply me with a gcode of the original fanduct after I told them about the fanduct.

Yeah, got the same problem with the screws. After pushing the springs (putting a little pressure on the bed) the calibration had to be redone. What I did was turn the knobs after one corner lost it’s 0,1mm clearance. By turning the clearance went up/down. And then afterwards don’t touch it anymore (terrible design). This problem is because the nuts and the washers seem to be not entirely flat and by turning the knobs the nuts and washers also turn and create more or less clearance. Maybe they should use higer quality nuts and washers.

I especially notice the middle being higher when the printer is printing the honeycomb filling on larger objects. On certain spots in the object the honeycomb structure gets ripped by the extruder nozzles.

I did find a workaround for this by heating both extruders. When I print PLA I heat the pla extruder to 235 and the other extruder (I don’t use) to 200.

When the extruders hit the object they melt through it instead of ripping it open. Not ideal, but it got the job done.

The filament was another brand (two brands actually). But it only happened with ABS. It’s like the ABS filament is to soft for the driver wheels.

Yeah the roller turns freely and I also adjusted the tension on the roller several times.

Another problem I encountered when printing was that the printer seems to stop for several seconds during a print. The motors make a humming noise when they stop.

It seems to happen on the same spots every time and it leaves thick drops of filament on those spots.

Maybe it’s the printer, maybe the design I don’t know. But for me it was the last straw….

This is the file I printed http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:591603

I hope your problems will be solved

Kim

Login or Signup to post a comment

User Manuals

Quick Start Guide

Print Settings

Demo Print Downloads

Drivers Downloads

Software Downloads

Firmware Downloads

Please request a firmware download via the Ticket System