Or call our technical support: +31852080825

Available Monday through Friday from 7AM to 3:30PM CET
Please create a ticket before calling and keep the ticket number at hand.
At the moment we are only offering support in English, so we kindly ask you to address your issue in English.
Start a new topic

maximum print temperatures

Hi. 

Trying to print some more exotic materials, not super exotic, but E3D's PCA/ABS mix, the problem is that they recommend extruder temps around 270 degrees. According to web data, the HS should reach 275 degrees, mine never does, maximum on my printer is 265. Same goes for the heated bed, Lpfrg info says 50-95 degrees, correct numbers are 50-85. 

The material of choice is recommended to be printed with a 130 degree bed temp and I know this is a stretch, but the material where bought before knowing for certain bed temp for the HS, I just assumed the bed temp would be enough.

Generally pinting with ABS, I would like a higher bed temp, this to avoid warping. I have some parts, a bit bigger parts that are impossible to print using ABS on the HS. 

I've asked Lfrg concerning this issue, their response to the bed temp is that parts on the printer might begin to melt??, upon asking which parts, so far no answer from Lfrg. 

I'm a bit concerned, when I bought this printer, I found the temperatures to be a bit low to begin with, learning this, that now seems to be a fact, it kind of changes things. 

does anyone know if the temperatures are changeable via the frimware ? 

I'm willing to do this, knowing full well that any warranty will be void. I'm simply thinking about exchanging the heater bed for a aluminum one with a 230 v heater. 

Lpfrg surely has its reason for limiting these values, things that concerns me though are un-accurate information, it might not be by much, but enough to be a annoying fact. 

The silicone heater for the bed is not glued onto the hole surface, only the edges, the tempsensor and a some dots in the middle. I cut mine of the glass and  glued the whole surface with hight temp silicon glue and no air pockets.  120 deg, no problem,  20-100deg in 16min. Before the regluing 92 was the max reported temp on my bed , and mesuring with a thermo camera most parts of the bed printing area was < 50deg.

Ok, good tip, I will try this immediately. 

Thanks, 

Do you perhaps know which glue you used ? 

Sorry I don't remember. I used a 1 component silicon that was marked with +250 °C (200-220 °C would be sufficient). I used app 300g but squeeeeezed out most of it to get rid of air bubbles and to get as thin layer as possible. Its rely important to have no bubbles. one bubble the size of a coin can damage the heater (PTC effect),bubbles all over the surface = no risk of damage but poor performance. It took 48h to cure the glue @ 45 °C.
I also glued thick aluminium foil on the bottom side of the heater then the insulation. This has no effect if the addition to the glass is perfect, but who knows if its perfect.....
Good luck!

/Anders

Ok, thanks, 

Anders that's a great hack. Could you please provide pictures of what it looks like? This is certainly one of my biggest gripes with the HS

I only had a pic of how the heater was glued from the beginning. If your heater is the same you see this when the air is expanding during heat-up. At 80-90 deg the airgap heater/glass is app 5mm in between the dots of glue and you can feel this clearly.

After a few moth of use, I think the PSU starts to overheat = the heating power goes down to 50% after a few minutes, this might also be a case of slowly heating bed, Cleaning the PSU from dust made some improvements but not back to 100% al the time, and I'm nor sure this was the problem.

/Anders

jpg
(81.2 KB)

Typical, before I even got started with this hack, my heater gave up. Found that the connector just underneath the bed had a faulty connection. The connector had apparently been exposed to some heat (due to connect error). 

Tried to fix the problem by exchanging the connectors, but the copper wire that runs to the bed had seen some oxidation, so any true connection wasn't possible, it seems. The bed in this state had a maximum temperature of 45 degrees. 

Re-tried by cleaning the copper wire and soldering new cables, better, but not near the original maximum temp 85 ° (which is a bit low to begin with ), now it only reaches 55°.

I believe my heater is defect, contacted lpfrg, it seems that the recognize this issue, as far as I can tell they will send me a new heater (warranty). 

Anyone had thoughts on fitting a 230v heater, seems like a somewhat simple solution. Alu bed, thermistor attached to the middle of the bed?

Would probably be easier on the PSU, easier to run higher wattage on the heater. 

jpg
Login or Signup to post a comment

User Manuals

Quick Start Guide

Print Settings

Demo Print Downloads

Drivers Downloads

Software Downloads

Firmware Downloads

Please request a firmware download via the Ticket System

Creatr HS Video Library