Or call our technical support: +31852080825

Available Monday through Friday from 7AM to 3:30PM CET
Please create a ticket before calling and keep the ticket number at hand.
At the moment we are only offering support in English, so we kindly ask you to address your issue in English.
Start a new topic

Z stepper stops randomly

My Z stepper stops randomly during a print as well as when I home it. Some times it will home and other times it stops at different points while it is homing. I have had many problems with this machine. when it prints it is great. but it has been down more than up working. I have not long ago replaced the Mother board and had just started to print again when the short USB cable inside failed. 

Fixed that and now this. I am now just out of warranty and this is now happening. Is there a way to check if it is the motherboard that I just replaced or the Z stepper? I am hoping that it is the Z stepper as it is not as expensive as the motherboard.

The most likely culprit is the cable / connectors to the z stepper. Look closely for a loose or broken wire.

I have checked the wires, All are OK . But I have went through and found that when I am moving it up and down with software it will  catch at about the same area every time and as I move it more it catch's more often so I think there is a dead spot forming in that area of the decoder on the stepper. Which means I need to replace the Z stepper motor.

What type of stepper is the Z stepper on the Leapfrog Creatr?

Dear Michael Moore ,

The Creatr printer uses a Nema 17 stepper motor for the Z movement. I would also suggest checking the grub screws on the spindle pulleys and make sure they are tight and that the stepper motor does not spin freely;

Also you could invert the X motor and the Z motor connectors on the motherboard and see if the X stepper motor will present the same problems when connected in place of the Z motor. If it does then the root cause is the driver on the board.

If not indeed the root cause might be the Z motor and the wire harness.

Login or Signup to post a comment

User Manuals

Quick Start Guide

Print Settings

Demo Print Downloads

Drivers Downloads

Software Downloads

Firmware Downloads

Please request a firmware download via the Ticket System

Creatr HS Video Library